Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rotisserie Chicken

One of our favorite meal gotos after a busy day is still-warm rotisserie chicken from the local grocery.  Slice up some white meat or have a wing, add a veggie, some fruit and yogurt, some ice tea, milk or ice water, and supper is table-ready - quick and easy.  Pre-cooked rotisserie chickens are around $6 for a whole chicken in our part of Colorado.

If we haven't eaten it all by the third day, I debone the large chunks of meat and pop the bones and small pieces of chicken into a stock pot.  I freeze the large chunks in 3/4 cup to a cup portions as well as the strained stock in cup portions for later.  I strain the stock as the remaining small chicken bits can be rubbery.

Since chicken bones, skin and rubbery meat can be attractive to cats, dogs and wild life, I pop them in a plastic bag for their trip to the freezer.  No muss, no fuss until trash day when I take it out - frozen and non-smelly.  In the heat of the summer, I add a quarter cup of coffee grounds to the still-frozen bag so animals don't mess with it.  Nothing is more demoralizing while dressed in good clothes and rushing to an appointment that a trash-strewn driveway.

Leftover rotisserie chicken is yummy - either for the following day's lunch or supper.   As I think of them, I will share.  I am sure you have some good ideas, too.  Please post them on the comments section below.






No comments:

Post a Comment